Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Building the Beachside Bungalow part 9

 

Watch the video here.




This week we are putting the roof pieces onto the house. The back roof piece went on without any problems.






Then I got the front roof and the porch roof. I had put the back piece on in the afternoon intending to proceed with the front sections in the morning. As I was getting ready to head to bed I decided to do a dry fit of the front roof and porch roof pieces to see what I was going to be doing in the morning. That was when I discovered a mistake I had made back in video 5 of this series! I had primed and marked the wrong sides of these 2 pieces.


Crap, that meant that what is supposed to be the inside had a bunch of pencil lines drawn across them and that the side that was to out for the shingles to be glued to was white and had no placement lines. There were multiple words spoken that can not be on YouTube (at least not if I want to remain monetized...LOL) So instead of going to bed I primed what is actually the inside of the roof with my primer. I then had to wait for that to dry enough to flip it over because I needed to cover that white primer. If it had not be covered there is a huge chance it would show between my shingles and I don't want that. Then I had to get creative, what was I going to cover the white with? Well, I know that I will probably be using some shade of grey or black on my shingles. So I poured a bit of my primer into a container and added a bit of black craft paint then a little white until I had a grey that would cover the white. After giving the roof panels a coat of that paint I was finally able to go to bed a bit later than planned.


The first step for the front panels is not to glue them to the house but to glue them together at the correct angle. This was fairly easy, I did use a lot of masking tape and I added some weight in the form of a couple of bricks to make sure the pieces are at the correct angle. Then it was just a matter of keeping up with wiping up any glue drips and waiting for the glue to dry completely (I decided to give it a full 24 hours since I want it to hold up when it take it off to glue it back in place.)



Then it was time to glue the front roof piece in place. Although it is a large piece and a bit awkward it went on easily. I used a lot of weight and tape again to keep it from moving once I stepped away. I allowed this to also dry pretty well before going on to the next step- adding the dormer walls.





The dormer went on easy enough. It did shift a tiny bit on me between when I checked on it and when I came back to check again. I think it happened when I bumped the table while trying to vacuum the floor under it. Not a big deal it is a small shift and I can easily cover it with a tiny bit of spackle or caulk when we do the interior.


 

 

 

The last step for today's video was to put the roof on the dormer. I painted it with the same grey primer mixture I had made up for the front roof. (I also painted the back roof panel off camera too) and re-drew the shingle placement lines. The roof went on pretty well. The instructions suggested using the attic wall pieces to help hold it in place but I just couldn't get that to work. I used a bunch of tape instead. I did notice while watching the footage of the video back in preparation for editing the video that there is a space between the front wall of the dormer and the roof piece. While I wish I had caught it sooner and glued it better it will be a really easy fix which we will do on a future video. 

 





The house is really starting to look like a house at this point. I am still deciding on how I am going to trim it out. I have a handful of pictures of real houses, most are real houses located on the Oregon coast that I am using for reference. There are a couple in particular that have caught my eye and I am probably going to base the way I trim this house loosely on how they are trimmed.


I hope you are enjoying this series and learning at least some things from it. I would appreciate it if you passed the links to my channel and/or my videos on to your friends that would enjoy my tutorials. Thanks in advance for that and also a big thank you for watching the video and for reading my blog post.



No comments:

Post a Comment