Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Dollhouse Miniature Scarecrow


This week I decided to show you a fun fall decorating project that you can use outside your dollhouse. These little scarecrows have been around for many years and there are several variations on them. This is just my twist on them.



I am going to have you start by building a structure to hang your scarecrow from. I am using a 1 ½” wooden wheel from the craft store and a ¼” wooden dowel. I use this combination a lot when I need to make something that stands up because they are easy to get, inexpensive and easy to work with. Use whatever works for you. I have also made these in the past using a miniature wooden bucket to hold the dowel. It really is up to you and what you have available what you use. I want this project to be one that anyone can do without having to go buy a lot of stuff.

After the stand is put together we can get busy making the head of the scarecrow. For this just cut a rough circle of fabric. You can stuff the head with whatever you have, I used cotton balls this time but again use what you have. Tie the bottom shut with either some thread or a piece of string and paint on a face.

Next the pants, the cut shape to make pants looks complicated but as you can see from the video it is a really simple shape to cut out. My pant legs came out looking kind of like skinny jeans so if you want to have a baggier look make the rectangle a bit wider from the start. You can of course sew the seams either by hand or machine but glue works just as well as you can see in the video.

Next I gave the stand a light coat of brown paint, totally optional but I wanted to coat under the coffee ground dirt in case I didn't get an even coat.

The shirt is just another simple shape that I glued but you could sew it if you desire.

I do urge you to have fun with the hat. I made a really simple on but use your imagination. I have even used purchased straw hats on these in the past (I couldn't find any in my stash this morning)

Putting the scarecrow together is really simple. Just grab all the parts we made, some rafia (or straw or whatever) and some glue.

If you want to set yours on the dollhouse porch don't add the coffee grounds but I wanted to put mine in the yard.

These would also be cute in a pumpkin patch or the garden next summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment