Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Dollhouse Miniature Easter Basket


I decided to show you how to make some really simple to make Easter baskets this week. The fact that they are really inexpensive to makes is a real bonus too.

We are using some simple embroidery floss to make these baskets in 1/12th scale. I used a piece of dowel that is ½” in diameter but you can use whatever dowel you have that is close to that size. Remember Easter baskets in real life come in many sizes so feel free to play with this one. I think you could also use other items look around and see what you can find. Just be sure to cover your form with some plastic wrap so you can get the basket off when it dries. Same for the handle, look around and see what you have that will work. I used some balsa strip wood ( 3/8” by 3/8” square) but you can use whatever you have. If you are making more than one basket it would be more interesting to make the handles different sizes and shapes anyway. Again the important thing is to wrap your form in plastic wrap.

Just about any white glue will work for this project, like I said in the video I used Mod Podge for the little pink one. I did have to use regular glue to attach the handle though in order to have a strong enough bond to have it hold up.

You can make your baskets as tall or short as you want mine are between ¼” and ½” tall.

If you are working in a larger scale (or I suppose a smaller scale) you can still do this project by changing what you form the basket and handle on. Just look around and see what you can find. Keep in mind the scale you are working with and if in doubt hold the form up to your doll and see how it looks.

For Barbie size (1/6th scale) I think a 1” dowel would be about right but you could go bigger too. I would at least twist 2 lengths of floss together for this scale or braid together 3 lengths. That would give more options on color/design too.

For AG (1/3rd scale) just go bigger, maybe a glue or other bottle for the form. Look for some pretty yarn or string to form the basket with. (see the photo at the end of this post to see an AG size basket I made)

If you want to try to make this in a smaller scale you can easily split the embroidery floss down by separating the strands and use a smaller dowel.


I really prefer on this project to use my fingers to add the coating of glue, you just can't get in all the small spaces with a brush and who wants to wash glue out of a brush anyway.


I think the most important thing is to remember to have fun with this project, don't forget to wrap all your forms with plastic and be sure to have some wet wipes within reach.

Looks like grandma set up an Easter Egg Hunt for all the kids in the neighborhood. good thing they all got new Easter Baskets.


I decided to make an AG size basket, made out of yarn over my glue bottle (8oz Fast Grab Tacky bottle)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for another great video. I love this idea & can't wait to try it.

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete