Check back often
Have you checked out all my blogs?
Dollhouse Minis: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/
18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/
Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.
Sunday, September 2, 2012
Farm-stand Display Table
This week I am going to show you how to make the display table that I will be using in my Farm-stand. It is very similar to the one I have used in the pictures lately I just needed to play with the size so it will fit in the building better.
You will need to cut some Basswood in the following sizes:
1 piece 1/16” x 2”x 9 ½ ” (top)
3 pieces 1/4” x 1/4” x 9 (lengthwise braces)
2 pieces 1/4” x 1/4” x 3 ½” (back legs)
2 pieces 1/4” x 1/4” x 3” (front legs)
6 pieces 1/4” x 1/4” x 1 ½” (short braces)
1 piece 1/8” x 1/8” x 9 ½” (front lip)
Having a gluing jig on hand to use in gluing the pieces together is a big help but not absolutely necessary. If you don't have one just be sure to keep your joints at right angles and you will be fine.
I know there are directions online for making a gluing jig and if you are planning to build very many minis it would be a good thing to look into. There are also many versions for sale online, just use your favorite search engine to look for “magnetic gluing jig” and you should be able to find something. I have to say it is one of my most used tools that I own so I think it is well worth the money spent on it.
If you want to stain your display table you will need to do that before you begin gluing. If you are going to paint I recommend doing that after you complete the assembly. For my use I am leaving mine unfinished.
The card-stock around the base is totally optional. I want to block off the view of the bottom because I think it would distract from the produce displayed on the top. If you want to leave yours open go ahead. It will look great either way.
Now I did mention in the video that I would fill you in on why I ended up having to take apart the first display table and re-d o it for the video. Well, first off I totally messed up my measurements for the top of the table. For some reason when I cut it out initially I cut the top (and the font lip) the same length as the long brace pieces. I have no idea why it didn't occur to me that I needed to add on the width of the legs to that length in order to cover them.
Also I am still getting used to my new work area and for the majority of the video the camera was filming empty space and I was working just out of camera range. This time I tried to be a lot more careful about staying in the view of the camera as much as possible.
So you see we all make mistakes and have to take things apart and start over.
I also made a couple of square tables for the displaying produce on the other side of the room. Those were so simple I don't think they need to go into a video. Here are the steps. I found a couple of yogurt containers (one per table) and cut off the top to make the container just under 2 ½” tall (mine had a rim in just the right place). I then cut a square of 1/16” basswood that was 3” square.
I used hot glue to attach the wood square to what used to be the bottom of the yogurt container.
I cut a strip of card-stock that was 2 ½” wide and long enough to go around 3 sides (9”). I scored the card-stock at 3” and 6” from one end so it would fold nicely. I then ran a bead of glue around three sides of the wood square and attached the card-stock as a covering around the edge. That's it, I told you it was simple.