Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Bushel Basket #1


Be sure to watch the Bushel Basket #1video!

This week I thought I would show you how to make the first of the containers that I will be using in my produce stand. This one is loosely based on a bushel basket and in a while I will show you another version that flares out a bit at the top. 



I had the idea of what I wanted to do for this and I spent a day working out how to get a basket the way I wanted. I was so happy, then I found I couldn't create another one that looked like it matched it. I could get close but not the same. Although in my project I will be using several types of containers I want all of each to look the same. I want them to look like the owner bought these somewhere. So it was back to the drawing board. I decided that what I needed was a form of some kind to make the baskets on. That actually explains why I have two versions of the bushel basket. In playing with the my ideas for forms I came up with 2 different basket shapes both based on the bushel basket. I decided to make both and although they are very similar I will do separate videos for each too. (watch for that one later in the spring/summer)

In the end for today's basket I used a 1” dowel, it was easy to hold onto (a little hard to film but it worked) and was able to make several baskets in a short period of time. For the video I only make one basket but while I was actually making baskets I made them 6 at a time and it worked out beautifully. So if you want to make just one or a bunch of these I think you will find this to be an easy and fun project.

When I have time I am going to try this same basket in bright colors too, I think for a kid's room they would be super cute. I think for those I would coat them with something to make them have a satin finish to look like the plastic ones you can buy at those huge stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment