Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Ceramic Tile Basics

 

Watch the video here.

 

 



This week for the Tuesday Tidbit video I thought I would talk a little bit about ceramic tiles. I know I have a couple of videos on the channel on the subject but I just got a new one to use so it seemed like a good time to talk about them again.


So you might be wondering why you need ceramic tiles in the craft room. I love them because they are a wonderful, durable work surface that is also very portable. As an added bonus they clean up really easily too.


Before I moved last year I had collected many tiles of different sizes, textures and colors. When I moved I got rid of all of those mainly because I didn't want to deal with moving them. I figured that they would most likely get broken long before I got here. Besides they are really cheap and most of the ones I had were stained and/or chipped so they were in need of replacing.


My favorite size of tile to work on is a 12” by 12”, this size gives me a good sized work surface but is not too heavy or hard to handle. It is also an easy size to store since they will slip in many places.


As for surface most crafting I like a very smooth surface. Something without much in the way of texture. The new one I got is kind of glossy but not overly so.


Color really doesn't matter at all for our purposes. I do usually stick to light neutrals but that is the last factor I look at.


As for cost look for the cheap tiles, the one I got was less than a dollar.


The tiles are fantastic for polymer clay work, and if you want to you can bake the clay right on the tile.


They are also wonderful for painting small items on, just put some masking tape down like I show in the video and you will corral lots of small pieces on your tile to work on. Then you can put the tile to the side while your project dries.



As for cleaning I almost always start with one of those razor blade scrapers. Just be careful with using the scraper. I always go over the surface with a quick wipe of a baby wipe and the tile is ready to go again.


I have in the past actually run my tiles through the dishwasher when they get really dirty. It is probably not recommended to do so but it has worked for me several times. The only downside is the back of the tile does hold moisture and you really can't use it again until it is totally dry or you risk ruining your work table.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment