Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Dollar Tree Furniture Flip- the Hall Table

 

Watch the video here.

 

 



This week I am taking my inspiration from the videos I have been watching where people take furniture that they pick up at a thrift store or garage sale and then they re-do it to make it look really special. This is often referred to as “flipping” and really gives the opportunity to make a special piece of furniture to use. I figure the dolls living in our dollhouses should have the same opportunities. Since I didn't have a source for used furniture I looked at other options. I decided that the furniture at Dollar Tree had some good “bones” they are just not very well put together or finished. So for $1 you can pick up a piece of furniture to play with.


This week we are going to tackle the piece that Dollar Tree calls a desk. In my opinion this is not a desk. It is really too small for that. It does however make a fantastic hall table or entry way table.




The first step is to remove the drawer knobs, these knobs are okay but I didn't want to paint around them. If you can remove them intact you could just repaint them separately and glue them back on at the end of the project. For me 1 of the 3 knobs completely came apart when I removed it so that just meant I had to come up with something else to use. So of course I dug out some polymer clay and made set of drawer pulls. I made plenty so I will have more to use at a later date.


These pieces aren't really bad just not finished very well or at all. This one is pretty rough but a bit of filler and some sanding took care of most of it. You could do more if you want it to look more high end.


I had found a couple of pieces that were of similar style online, these were real pieces of furniture that people had flipped so I took my inspiration from them for color. I chose a cream color for the bottom of the piece and a dark brown for the top. The real pieces that I liked all had their tops stained in a dark work tone. I knew that the wood this piece is made of would not stain well so I used a very dark brown artist acrylic paint. It looks so nice on the wood.


Then just a top coat of satin Mod Podge for a finish and glue the knobs on and it is done. Super simple and very inexpensive piece of dollhouse furniture.

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment