Check back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis: http://joannesminis.blogspot.com


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Cooking: https://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Dollhouse Miniature Front Porch part 5





This week we are getting the window and door installed to our front porch project as well as attaching the brick.

I did get a lot of work done off camera to bring the project to where we are. In the previous videos we had started the siding and I demonstrated how to make the brick also. Off camera I did get all both of these done on my project as well as I painted the structure. I decided to only add the lap siding the front and side of the piece and added a tissue paper finish to the back. I was running low on both the upholstery trim strip and time and the tissue paper was a lot faster and I had it on hand. This time I used some cheap tissue from the gift wrap area of the dollar store and it worked really well.

For the painting of the main structure I first base coated (primed) with a white craft paint (I used Ceramcoat from Delta for all the paints this week). This gave me a consistent color base to work over and I felt the light green paint looked better over the white than over the plain cardboard strips.

For the green I used Ceramcoat in Light Foliage Green and since this is a matte finish paint I followed it with a coat of Matte Mod Podge to give it a slight sheen and to seal the paint.

Also off camera I gave the area where I will be putting the roofing a coat of Black craft paint. I will be putting a black roof on and didn't want the white of the foam core to show between the shingles. Since I know I am a messy painter I wanted to get this done before I did any of the work today so it wouldn't get black paint on it.

For the faux curtain behind the window I used the flap off a cardboard box that I had gotten in the mail. Recycling at its best. I did find that one side of the cardboard peeled off a lot easier than the other and left a nice surface that looks like the back side of a window drape. I simply coated it with 2 coats of the same white craft paint.

After gluing the “drapes” in place the window and door were glued in place and then trim was added. For the trim I raided my stash of strip wood for whatever looked like it would work. The strip wood is 3/8” wide and about 1/8” thick so it looks nice and substantial. For the trim over the door I used a piece of dollhouse crown molding that has been in my stash for years. I do wish I had cut it just a tad longer but it is okay the way it is. I decided against trying to film the cutting of the trim since I am sure I not doing it the correct way. I usually start with my pieces too long then cut a bit off until they fit.

I used some Light Ivory craft paint (Ceramcoat) to paint these followed by a coat of Satin Mod Podge.

All of the gluing was done using Beacon's 3-in-1 glue which has quickly become my very favorite glue.






Sunday, April 22, 2018

Dollhouse Miniature Front Porch part 4- Prepping the Front Door





Sorry I have been absent for so long, I have just been really busy and really tired. Hopefully I am back on track now though.

So this week we are going to add a curtain to the window on the door for the porch project. I love the look of these little curtains in real life and I have wanted to use one on a dollhouse project for a long time. This is my chance and I am so glad it worked out.

For the sheer curtain I am using some of that 6” wide tulle from the fabric/craft store. It is usually fairly inexpensive and you get a lot on the spool. If you don't have this any sheer fabric will work.

First step was to cut a piece about 6” by 6” then fold in half and make a ¼” seam on the edge opposite the fold. This will form a sleeve from your fabric.

Now trim the sleeve to about 3 ½” wide.

Use a glue that will hold the tulle to glue toothpicks to the top and bottom then glue to the inside of the door.

The ribbon to gather the center is optional but that was the style I was going for here.

It really is that easy.